Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Code Brown

Jeremiah and I have been having a disagreement about Brayden...the first of many to be sure. Jeremiah thinks he should have a pacifier, while I was hoping just to have a thumb sucker (after all, you can never lose your thumb!). My argument, however, validates Jermiah's argument...it is pretty hard to break a habit when you can't get away from it.

Well, it seems that little Brayden was going to solve this disagreement for us.

Today, he seemed to have an upset tummy, and his little way of dealing with any discomfort is to eat. It is very comforting to be close to mom and have a full tummy-good baby logic, right? Especially when mommy falls for it, hook, line and sinker, and can't figure out why her little angel is puking up that liquid gold she is working so hard on. Needless to say, another meal did not make Brayden's tummy feel any better. He woke up screaming from his nap, only 45 minutes after eating. This time, I wasn't falling for it. Even though his diaper was dry and his tummy full, he was still belting out that heart wrenching cry that makes you want to lay down your life to find the one solution that will make that poor little baby feel better. After trying everything from the baby bjorn to rocking him, I gave up... and started boiling the five different kinds of pacifiers we had recieved as gifts and prayed one of them might be a good fit. At this point, I didn't care about the thumb sucking/pacifier debate anymore! I just wanted a happy baby.

While I was begging the water to boil, I felt my hand get wet. So I took Brayden into his bedroom and onto the changing table, only to discover: CODE BROWN to the Nth Degree (just in case you don't speak baby codes, that means poop, covering everything up to that poor child's hairline)! So we have spent the last few hours, curled up tight in a diaper, a blanket and a pacifier, waking up only when the pacifier is not as good as actual lunch, and waiting for Dad to get home so he can help me give him the scrubbing that the wipes just couldn't do (sometimes it just takes two to give a good bath).

Lesson for the day: pacifiers are heaven sent and even the most expensive diapers cannot contain a serious Code Brown.

2 comments:

Outdoorsjake said...

Kelly,

I just thought of you guys because Julie is twelve weeks along right now and we are finally letting the cat out of the bag. It has been a while since I last looked at you blog. Holy crap your litle man is here already! He looks awesome. Code Brown is hilarious! I think that baby Brayden juxtaposed on the AmeriCorps NCCC tee is a great new promo opportunity, "AmeriCorps: Getting babies made!" If pregnancy could be counted as 6,700 hours of independent service hours you could theoretically have worked at least four times as hard during pregnancy as you did in in one term at Perry Point. I can't imagine that. Good job "getting things done!"

Peace,
Jake

J-ROK said...

Hi, this is Jake's wife :) I really enjoyed your post! It's a nice look into what my life will be like next year. It's telling that I think a Code Brown emergency sounds adorable. I'll be singing a different tune soon!